Something you may not know about me: I love comedy. I spent a whole summer when I was thirteen watching old Saturday Night Live reruns and Late Night With Conan O'Brien. That is literally all I did. My brother and I practically memorized all of Mitch Hedberg's Strategic Grill Locations and Mitch All Together and one of my best memories is watching Monty Python and The Holy Grail with my dad.
So this week, I'm sharing some of my favorite comedy stuff.
1. Comedy Bang! Bang! is my favorite podcast. The basic premise is an interview hosted by Scott Aukerman that gets interrupted by a "surprise guest." It is ridiculous and amazing. Just listen to this clip of James Adomian as Huell Howser. It is pure gold. When I need to catch up on my podcasts, this is the first one I go to. And there's the television show on IFC that premiered this past June that is just as ridiculous.
2. Mike Birbiglia is one of my favorite comedians. I just finished reading his book Sleepwalk With Me which he has turned into a film. I'm really excited to watch it. He's a great storyteller and I've listened to him on This American Life so I have no doubt that I will love this movie.
3. I've listened to the Nerdist podcast from day one and it's been really cool to watch Chris Hardwick kind of build his little nerd empire. I got to see him and Jonah Ray at The Benson Interruption last year and Jonah again when he and Kumail Nanjiani (another amazing comedian) brought The Meltdown to San Diego Comic Con. I personally love the hostful episodes. In addition to being funny, they are surprisingly motivational. I always try to enjoy my burrito.
4. I loved seeing David Lynch pop up on Louie. He was perfect. I'm actually surprised the internet didn't implode when that happened. If you don't watch Louie then I don't know what you're doing with your life. I started to write this post while watching the latest episode and had to stop in the middle because of how emotionally involved I was. You start out laughing, then you cry, then you throw your hands up in the air and cry and laugh some more and celebrate life. That's not an exaggeration, that's exactly what I did tonight. Louis C.K. puts so much truth in his show and portrays humanity perfectly. That's not an exaggeration either.
5. Who doesn't love Mindy Kaling? She's just so darn lovable. I was super excited when I heard about The Mindy Project and I liked the pilot. Obviously, pilots aren't great indicators of the quality of a show because they need more than 30 minutes to figure everything out (I mean, it took Parks and Recreation a whole season) but I'm excited to see more. It took me like five episodes before I was totally sold on New Girl and this pilot is way better than theirs. But I'm biased because of my love for Kelly Kapoor.
As with most people my age, I love Harry Potter. I was the same age as Harry as the books were coming out so, obviously, it had a huge impact on my life. The only times I got in trouble as a kid in school were the times I was caught reading Harry Potter under my desk. Yeah, I was that kind of kid. I guess I'm that kind of adult too, judging by my excitement level when I was sorted into Gryffindor on Pottermore.
Anyway, before this turns into a full-on love letter to Harry Potter (is it too late?), let's talk about beer. Butterbeer. In the books and films, the characters drink butterbeer which is described as tasting "a little bit like less-sickly butterscotch." It's served cold in bottles and hot in tankards and I'm dying to go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to try some. There is actually an authentic recipe for Tudor Buttered Beere from 1588 right here and it sounds disgusting. Don't make it.
Instead, make these butterbeer cupcakes from AmyBites. They are super sweet and so good. Here's my attempt at following her recipe.
1. How About Orange shares a method of coating origami with Polycrylic which gives a beautiful protective sheen to your paper projects!
2. It amazes me how it only takes a few coats of spray paint to make something look like new. This bike makeover from A Beautiful Mess inspires me to thrift a bike and redo one for myself.
3. Polaroid cameras are always fun to use and having your picture print out instantly is one of it's perks, the new Polaroid Z2300 is super cute and also digital. Even more instant than Instagram?
4. Bad Lip Reading has done it again by voicing over The Hunger Games! I don't know if this is an insight to my maturity level but these voice dubs are hilarious! They dub stuff from music videos, movies, to political ads. Check out the YouTube channel here for more.
5. Happy Hobbit Day everyone! It's Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday! Geeks of Doom have a How To Throw A Hobbit Day Party which is a fun and nerdy thing that we should all be doing. RIGHT NOW, GO!
We love color and often get inspired by things with really fun color schemes. Color Scheming is our way of keeping and sharing color swatches we like from photos, books, art, movies, objects, etc. with you!
This painting by artist Natalya Kuzmina is really gorgeous. Kuzmina uses bright and vibrant colors to portray emotion which is accompanied by her expressive style. Check out her work, it will inspire! I'm in love with the feeling of this piece. Not to mention I'm a sucker for blues, greens and portraits in general! ♥
ThinkGeek (aka the best website in the entirety of the internet) has these 8-bit hair bows that are actually really easy to make at home using perlers. I'm pretty sure everyone has used perlers in their life, they're kind of a childhood staple. Hello, whimsy has a really good tutorial on how to make these bows and I wanted to try them out. I wound up making some flowers in addition to the bows.
Check them out after the jump!
1. I love love love this unicorn wallpaper. It's from a book about making prints. I need this print.
2. This dress is from Jason Wu's Spring/Summer 2013 show at New York Fashion Week and I'm going crazy over it. It's like she's wearing stars. It's so beautiful.
3. I've been looking for an easy way to screen print for awhile. There's this one that looks effective but a little overly complicated. I thought "I wonder if I could just use contact paper" and sure enough, this tutorial uses contact paper and looks ridiculously easy.
4. I love this heart garland from paint samples. So easy and cute.
5. I have a habit of getting/making way too many bookmarks. This cute, free printable fox bookmark is not helping the habit.
Have a fun weekend!
1. This IKEA hack of their Lack side table is not only easy to make but also easy on your wallet as well!
2. Cozy up to some hot chocolate cubes on a stick, these are probably easy to make and taste really yummy!
>>The next few are album releases and album previews that have come out this week. You should really give a listen to!<<
3. Cat Power is back with a new album titled Sun. I've been listening to this nonstop, some of the tunes are really catchy and I am reminded of how cool Cat Power's sound is.
4. How nice of the XX to stream their new album here before it comes outnext week. Their site has a worldwide tracker that shows who is listening to their album and how it has been shared, it's pretty amazing. Coexist comes out 9.11.12
5. If you've never heard of the band Stars, you are missing out. Their new release The North is quite spectacular.