DIY Moon Phase Wall Clock


Something about the new year always reminds me of moon phases. I had the idea to make a lunar phase piece of art similar to the lunar plaque Lisa made here. This time I wanted it to have some kind of functionality, so making a clock was the perfect thing! I searched around the web and couldn't find anything like this so I am pleased with this concept, hope you like it as much as me! Although, I came across this full moon clock diy which is really cool too from hellobee which I really love as well! Take some "time" and make a clock today!


Materials:
  • black and white acrylic paint and paintbrush
  • clock mechanism
  • clock surface ( I used a wood clock surface but you can make your own)
  • wooden circles (optional)
  • wall mounting supplies
Directions: 1. Prep the clock surface: you can make one out of cardboard or wood if you'd like, just make sure to drill or punch a hole in the center to fit the clock mechanism. Start by painting the clock surface black. 2. Paint the circle shapes to look like moon phases as shown in the photos below by painting the black and white parts first and then adding dabs of gray to build up the moon shadows. (I painted a layer of glow in the dark over the moons so it glows now, too!) If you don't have circle shapes just draw out the circles on another piece and cut them out or paint directly onto the clock surface. 3. Mark where you want the moons to go in place of numbers on your clock. I did this by finding the center using a protractor marking every 30 degrees around. Glue the circle pieces onto the clock. 4. Follow the directions on package to install the clock mechanism. (Note: I ran into a couple problems with my clock mechanism not fitting onto my wooden clock, make sure you purchase the right sized clock mechanism for your project!) 






If you have any questions feel free to ask me! I know my photos and instructions are a bit all over the place.
- monica

Comments

  1. This is going to sound kind of silly, but did your clock hands start moving when you put the battery in, or did you have to do something else to make them go? I'm making a clock now and my only problem is that my clock mechanism appears to be broken.
    I absolutely love this by the way!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours worked just fine when we put it together. Although, when I bought the clock part at Michael's the cashier said that some of the clock mechanisms were faulty and that it was fine to exchange it for a working one.

      Delete
  2. This is such a nice idea!!! But id have the hardest time trying to get a symmetry and it would probably turn out crappy if I tried this... Good job though!! Its really cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, we would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below and leave a link if you wish! ♥

Popular Posts